We are a small scale treatment free beekeeping operation located in the Bulkley Valley of British Columbia.
CSA Busting Soup
This recipe is from the Local Kitchen Blog. Rise to the challenge of using every last veggie in your box!
- 2 tbsp olive oil (or bacon grease, clarified butter)
- 2 large scallions, white & green parts separated, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 medium carrots, scrubbed and sliced on the bias (about 1 and 1/2 cups)
- 6 – 8 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 small summer squash, seeded and sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 10 cups stock, chicken or vegetable (I used a blend of turkey and chicken stocks)
- 1 small head Savoy cabbage, chopped (about 6 cups)
- 2 cups green beans, ends trimmed and cut to 2-inch lengths
- 1, 14-oz can diced tomatoes (or about 2 lbs fresh tomatoes, cored, seeded and chopped)
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chile flakes
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Chevre, for garnish
- In a large stockpot, add oil, butter or bacon grease and heat over medium-high flame until shimmering, but not smoking. Add onions, white & light green scallions, garlic, carrots and summer squash. Sauté until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add stock, cabbage, green beans, tomatoes, herbs and spices. Cover and bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until flavors blend and vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Taste, adjust herbs and/or spices, and serve hot, garnished with green scallions and goat cheese.
Yields about 4 quarts of soup.