Jim and Brenda Forsyth run Suskwa Valley Farm in the beautiful Suskwa valley, east of New Hazelton.
Spiced Beet Chard Rolls
Use blanched chard leaves as a wrap for deliciously spiced, grated beets.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- pinch of asafetida
- ¼ tsp curry leaves
- 2 tsp tamarind concentrate –mixed in water
- 1 tsp cane sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 lb. beets
- chard leaves—lightly blanched (30 to 60 seconds)
- Boil the beets long enough to slip the skins. Cool, slip skins and grate beets.
- Heat oil in a heavy sauce pan and add mustard seeds and cook until they pop. Add the rest of the spices and cook on low for a minute. Add the spices to the grated beets and mix well.
- Put a tablespoon of beet mixture on a chard leaf, fold ends of leaf in and roll. Line the rolls up in a buttered casserole dish.
- Bake for about 45 minutes in chicken or veggie stock or tomato juice.
- Serve with yogurt, sour cream or tomato jam.