Providing people with great tasting eggs from happy hens.
Sauerkraut Chocolate Cake
This recipe is from a Harvest Box customer’s Mom who would always make it for birthdays. Word is that nobody ever knew there was sauerkraut in it.
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup of sauerkraut, drained and chopped
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Combine first five ingredients in a bowl.
- With electric beater, cream butter until smooth, gradually add sugar, then eggs one at a time. Add vanilla to coffee.
- Beginning with dry ingredients, alternate liquids and dry ingredients to the butter mixture and end with dry ingredients. Stir in the sauerkraut and mix well.
- Bake in 2 greased and floured 8 inch round pans at 350o F for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Make your favourite chocolate icing for a double layer cake.