GRENDELGrow is a gardening program operated under Grendel Group.
Russian Cabbage Borscht
From Mollie Katzen’s famous Moosewood Cookbook.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 ½ cups chopped onion
- 1 ½ cups thinly-sliced potato
- 1 cup thinly-sliced beets
- 1 large, sliced carrot
- 1 stalk chopped celery
- 3 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 scant tsp caraway seeds
- (optional: 1 tbsp. raisins)
- 4 cups stock or water
- 2 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- ¼ tsp dill weed
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp honey
- 1 cup tomato puree
- Place potatoes, beets and water in a saucepan, and cook until everything is tender. Drain and reserve the water.
- Begin cooking the onions in the butter in a large kettle. Add caraway seeds and salt. Cook until onion is translucent, then add celery, carrots and cabbage.
- Add water from beets and potatoes and cook, covered until all the vegetables are tender.
- Add potatoes, beets, and all remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer slowly for at least 30 minutes.
- Season to taste and serve topped with sour cream, extra dill weed, chopped fresh tomatoes.
Freezing Tip: Leave out the potato and add extra beets.